a·plas·tic a·ne·mi·a/āˈplastik əˈnēmēə/

Noun: Deficiency of all types of blood cells caused by failure of bone marrow development

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Long Day

Today was the longest day for the week in regards to appointments.  I had labs done first thing, then off to get a bone marrow biopsy.  This time, it was awful!  It hurt really bad and took nearly an hour!3  The Nurse Practitioner wasn't strong enough to drill through my bone, so they had to keep stopping and putting more lidocaine in the area.  I took some Ativan ahead of time and then they gave me a fentanyl lollipop during it.  By the time that was done, I was pretty woozy.  I then had to get a CT scan of my sinuses and chest.  Next they gave me IV benadryl and an IV steroid because I had to get a platelet and RBC transfusion.  My platelet count was 8 and my HGB was 6.3.   That is my lowest HGB thus far.  In 6 days it went down 1.6 points!  My WBC count went down as well.  I am almost at the neutropenic point, so I have to be careful not to get contaminated :) I then got a history and physical done and finally some education and training on the BMT process.  I could barely stay awake for that, in fact, I'm pretty sure I slept through most of it.  Luckily, my mom and Susie, my mother-in-law were there.  We also spoke to the financial coordinator and social worker.   Looks like Tricare is going to pay 100% of the BMT!  We will most likely have to pay out-of-pocket for prescriptions, which there is going to be a lot!

This is the longest time I have spent away from Kellan, about 12 hours.  I missed him the whole time, but knew he was in good hands with Aunt Nita.  After we got home, we went out and had some wonderful BBQ.  Oh how I have missed good BBQ! 

I didn't have time to get a new phone, so I guess that will be tomorrow.

My father-in-law is looking into setting up a donation account at their church so donations can be tax deductible.  We are still ironing that out.

3 comments:

  1. Love you! I'm so proud of you for being so strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrya, thanks for writing this blog. As another Aplastic Anemia patient with a young baby, I can't even begin to tell you how much inspiration I draw from your story. I hope you are hanging in there and I will be sending thoughts your way

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! It is difficult to stay strong and stressful too. I am so lucky to have a good team at KU. They do so much for me!

    ReplyDelete