a·plas·tic a·ne·mi·a/āˈplastik əˈnēmēə/

Noun: Deficiency of all types of blood cells caused by failure of bone marrow development

Friday, July 22, 2011

Kellan makes an appearance!

Ryan somehow managed to arrange me to see Kellan today.  It was nice, though he didn't seem to recognize me.  It must have been the blue gown, gloves and mask I had to wear.  It didn't feel right either.  He kept looking at grandma, grandpa and daddy, but not me.  I think that made it harder on me. I miss him terribly and I hate that I can't put him to bed, change his clothes, snuggle him while he naps.  But the short time I got to spend with him was wonderful. 

I got platelets this morning, as expected.  My counts are doing the exact same as they were prior to getting chemo.  I told the doctor today that his chemo wasn't working and there wasn't a need for me to be here.  He assured me that it was working and that I would start feeling effects in about a week.  Anyway, I feel like the healthiest person in this hospital and they are keeping me cooped up here like I'm knocking on death's doorstep.  Feeling like this got me pretty down today.  All I wanted to do was sleep.  I'm glad Ryan had stuff to do today so that he didn't have to see me being miserable.  I just want to go home and now I don't even feel like I have a home.  It was a really bad day and then Ryan came back and cheered me up.  I am currently on my 2nd to last Busulfan chemo treatment and will start the rabbit ATG tomorrow.

Kellan had his 4 month visit today.  The doctor says he is doing great!  He weighs 13 lbs 4 oz and is 23.5 in.  His head is 18 in.  I don't know if that is right, seems kind of big considering it was 14 in at birth.  Ryan said he cried a bit for his shots, but then was ok after Ryan rubbed his legs a bit.  I don't miss watching him get shots, just wish I could be there to console him.

I started studying for my GRE.  There is another girl going to be checking into the unit in a week or 2 that wants to be a doctor.  The night nurse that I've had the past 2 nights thinks we should get together considering we have similar goals after transplant. 

I have had several requests for my address:

Andrya DeGhelder
KU Med Center
3901 Rainbow Blvd.
Room 4110
Kansas City, KS  66103

I can't receive fresh fruit, veggies or flowers.

The thoughts and prayers must be working because I still feel really good.  Keep them coming!  God bless Anita for taking care of Kellan today along with her own kids.  I love the artwork from Alisa and Isaiah.  They are hanging on my wall and door.

No comments:

Post a Comment