a·plas·tic a·ne·mi·a/āˈplastik əˈnēmēə/

Noun: Deficiency of all types of blood cells caused by failure of bone marrow development

Saturday, July 9, 2011

First Break from the doctor's office....or so I thought

Ahhh, Saturday!  Well I thought that today would be a good day, without doctors and transfusions and tests...but I was wrong.  I woke up with a really bad headache today.  The doctor's don't want me taking tylenol, ibuprofen or aleve because it will mask a fever.  I ended up taking some tylenol anyway.  It didn't really help.  I suffered until about 6:00 tonight before it finally went away.  I'm glad my in-laws were here to take care of Kellan while I tried to rest and "sleep off" the headache.  This is the 2nd one in a week.  I never really have had headaches, but the day I had Kellan, I lost my peripheral vision and they diagnosed it as a migraine.  I have never really been one to believe in migraines, specifically because I used to work with 2 ladies that always left work because of migraines.  I always thought they were faking it and since then have defined a migraine as a woman's excuse to get out of work.  I think that I had a migraine today.  I know that they are legitimate in some people, but now I think I can understand a little better.  I just could not function at all today.

But that wasn't the reason why I ended up going to the hospital.  I took a shower and tried covering up my catheter, but it didn't work.  It got wet and I had to go to the hospital to get it changed.  I'm really glad that the doctor on call didn't get mad at me for getting it wet.  I really did try.  They gave me some stuff to use instead of saran wrap, hopefully that will work better.  My in-laws are going to get a different shower head, one that you can take off as use as a sprayer. 

I'm glad I got to spend some time with Kellan today.  He seemed happy about it too.  Everytime I held him, he seemed like he just wanted to cuddle.  It made my heart melt.   Its almost like he knows that something is going on and wants to be with his mommy.

I'm excited for Ryan to come on Thursday.  We are going to go out for one last outing before I get admitted on Saturday.  If anyone wants to come, let me know.

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there! Hope everything goes as planned this week and I get to see you! My MIL suggested that when you have to be away from Kellan to leave "something that smells like you" with him--the clothes you slept in or something. Apparently it's comforting to babies to have mommy's smell around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha. I am from O'ahu but currently live and work in the DC area. Like you, I've been diagnosed with aplastic anemia. I am at the moment where I need to decide to go through a clinical trial.

    Just wanted to say that I will be praying for you and I hope to hear all good news from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kayni! Thank your for your support and prayers! You are very lucky to be in the DC area. My doctors in Hawaii were working with Dr. Neil Young at the NIH. He is suppose to be the head/go-to AA doctor.

    I used to work in clinical research, so if you have any questions about clinical trials, I would be more than happy to answer them for you (but the sooner the better, don't know how congnisant I will be in a week or two). I do hope you decide to be in a clinical trial. The information from the trial will help others in the future. I was hoping that I could be in one, but they didn't have any at KU.

    Good luck to you and your treatment! I hope to hear good news from you as well :)

    ReplyDelete