a·plas·tic a·ne·mi·a/āˈplastik əˈnēmēə/

Noun: Deficiency of all types of blood cells caused by failure of bone marrow development

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 0: the first day of the rest of our lives...

Hi it's Ryan again.  Andrya wants me to say this before she falls asleep:

"Thank you everyone for all the thoughts, prayers and love sent our way.  We are blessed to have so many wonderful people in our lives.  Today I got my brother's stem cells/bone marrow transplant.  This morning I woke up petrified of the process.  I was so scared of pain, and what might happen, the long term side-effects, and I almost didn't do it.  But I stayed strong and did it anyway, knowing I had to do it because I have too much life left to live.  I didn't get much sleep last night because of fevers and it looks like it may be like that tonight too.  My worst pain is having a headache again and body aches and they're trying to control that with morphine and oxycodone; but that only helps minimally.  Pain coupled with extreme fatigue makes me feel like I have the worst pain in the world.  But I was able to get up, take a shower, and go for a walk here in the ward's hallway which I didn't think I'd get done.  I owe that to the motivation of my husband, who is keeping me strong through all of this.  I'm really tired now, so I'm signing off.  ...oh, and happy anniversary to my husband of nine years!"

3 comments:

  1. hang in there. you said it so well "you have too much life left to live." besides, i'd love to meet you when i get the chance to come home to hawaii probably during the holidays.

    i am doing well. my platelets are stable and i'm doing all i can to keep it this way.

    God bless you. Let God and his healing blanket you as you go through this process.

    More strength to you Ryan. You're all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying for you, Andrya! I am a friend of Anita's, and I got to meet your beautiful little boy. I hope to meet you sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrya - My name is Beth, I know Anita, Susie and Joe. Just wanted to let you know you are in my prayers. Keep fighting no matter how you feel - it is IN YOU to persevere! Little Kellan is waiting for the days to tick by until you can be together! Keep reaching, its all worth it! - God is holding you in the palm of his hand.

    ReplyDelete