a·plas·tic a·ne·mi·a/āˈplastik əˈnēmēə/

Noun: Deficiency of all types of blood cells caused by failure of bone marrow development

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day 1 under our belt

Besides having to get up at the butt crack of dawn, today hasn't been so bad!   I'm currently on my 3rd dose of chemo, Busulfan.  I don't feel any side effects yet, buy my pee sure does smell funny, kind of like when you eat asparagus!

I'm not going to lie, it was really rough leaving Kellan this morning.  I at least got to feed him before we left.  I know he is in good hands with Grandma Susie and Grandpa Joe.  And if not Aunt Nita and Aunt Jenny are standing by :)

Other than sleeping most of the day, we haven't done much.  Ryan has been a trooper.  We got a bigger room, so that much more to decorate!  I can't wait to have my walls full of pictures and cards and whatever else people want to send me to cheer me up!

The nurses are really nice and the bed is pretty comfortable.  I got pink blanket with me, so I am happy!  The food isn't too bad so far either.  I order "room service" when I am ready to eat and they bring it up so it isn't cold.  I like that a whole lot better, but it was weird at first.

So I am in room 4110.  That is on the 4th floor of the hospital in the BMT ward.  There are special precautions that have to be taken to enter the ward.  Everyone has to have their stuff wiped down with an antiseptic wipe (so ladies, I would not bring your LV or Coach bags with you).  Hand washing is essential and you can't use my bathroom.  Once you get used to it, it isn't so bad.  But if you want to visit me, then room 4110 is it.  The visiting hours are 8 to 8 I believe, but they are pretty flexible.  You can call ahead of time to make sure its ok.  My cell is 858-531-6511 and my room number is 913-588-4110.

So the main rules are:  no food, no flowers, no drinks for me.  If you are feeling sick, have a cough, runny nose, sore throat you can't come.  This is all to help protect my fragile immune system.  You may be asked to wear a gown and mask when you visit.

Now that I've scared you, I'd really appreciate visitors!  There is a limit of 2 and no children under the age of 12.  Can't wait to see everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Sending you all my hugs and love from DC. I just went through four doctor's appointments today. I am exhausted. My platelets are stable for now.

    Be strong. I was thinking of calling you but you might get scared hearing from someone who just reads your blog :). Come by my blog if you can:). I don't really write much about AA but I hope the photos there will cheer you up while you recuperate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your appointments went well. Having stable platelets is a good thing I think, well, anything stable with AA is a good thing :)

    You can call me if you want. I have stopped by your blog and the pictures are very good. Thanks for being a fellow AA follower. My thoughts go out to you as you choose your treatment path.

    ReplyDelete