a·plas·tic a·ne·mi·a/āˈplastik əˈnēmēə/

Noun: Deficiency of all types of blood cells caused by failure of bone marrow development

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Halfway There!

Today is Day 50!  I am so very excited, we went out and I bought cheesecake and an ice cream cake to celebrate! Now I've had too much sugar and can't sleep :)  I can't believe that we are halfway to Day 100! It seemed so far away when this all started and now it is going by so fast!

Tuesday was my doctor's appointment at the clinic.  Very good news there as well.  The BK polyoma virus is nearly undetectable, so they took me off all those meds, including the IV anti-viral!  Yeah! My platelet count dropped, but nobody seemed concerned so I wasn't either.  My other blood counts are doing well and I feel like I am getting some of my energy back.  I've even cooked a couple of times!  My kidney tests came back the same as last week, so I'm drinking water like crazy and trying to get that down.

Wednesday, we had the DeGhelder family over for Chris's going away.  Chris and Anita are moving and they have been so wonderful to us, we cannot thank them enough!  We will miss them and I'm glad that we got to have a family dinner before they left (minus Ryan, but he was there in spirit).

Nobody believes me, but I'm booking my ticket back to Honolulu for November 4th (Day 100)!  Everyone keeps telling me to not to get my hopes up.  I'm not, I just know I will be ready!

Here something to laugh about.  My nurse on Tuesday came into my room and as she was introducing herself, I interrupted her.  I told her I knew who she was, she was my neighbor across the hall in Freddy!  (Freddy was the dorm at SMSU, now SMU).  I hadn't see or heard from her for like 14 years, and here she is as my nurse.  The funny part about this is that last time I knew her, she was a stripper :)

We still need lots of prayers and thoughts and love coming this way.  We found out that we are responsible for my donor's traveling costs, which are quite a bit considering they made him drive over 100 miles one way at least a dozen times or more, plus food, etc.  Glad we didn't have to fly someone in from Europe!

Ok, goodnight all!  Hope everyone has a fantastic Friday and an excellent weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're doing well. Please pray for me as I start my treatment battle with AA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When do you start? Are they treating you with ATGam? I read that is better than ATG if you are not getting a transplant. It was in the New England Journal of Medicine. Keeping you in my thoughts, if you have any questions or need to vent or cry, please do not hesitate to contact me. And make sure you get the best pain meds, I wasn't afraid and they gave me pretty much whatever I asked for :)

    ReplyDelete