a·plas·tic a·ne·mi·a/āˈplastik əˈnēmēə/

Noun: Deficiency of all types of blood cells caused by failure of bone marrow development

Monday, July 11, 2011

Beginning of the week of relief

I wasn't suppose to have any appointments this week, which I was thankful for, so I can spend every possible second with my son.  I can't believe that in a few days, I won't be able to see him for a month!  Thinking about it makes my eyes well up with tears.  I keep telling myself, that a month is a short amount of time considering all the time we will have in the future if I get this transplant. 

I got a call around noon requesting that I come in for more labs :(  Then I got another call asking if I could get my ob/gyn appointment done today.  So I did both.  The admin staff at the ob/gyn clinic were AWFUL to me.  Once I said something to them about it, they started being more professional.  I guess people that work in admin at ob/gyn offices have to take a class on rudeness because they were like that at Tripler too.  Anyway, I'm glad I stood up for myself and said something. 

The labs I had done were to test for Fanconi's anemia.  I have no clue why they are testing this, because I don't have any of the physical symptoms of it, like 3 thumbs, deformed skeletal structures, mental retardation, etc.  Oh well, its just a blood test.  I asked them to do a CBC as well, they don't think I need any blood at this time even though I get lightheaded when I stand and am very fatigued. 

So, tomorrow, I should NOT have any appointments!  I'm excited!  I can spend all day with Kellan.  I think we want to go shopping.  He needs some books and diapers and bottles and Babies R Us is having a sale. 

I want to thank my in-laws for being so wonderful these past 2 weeks!  I don't know what I would do without them.  I treated them to some frozen custard concretes today.

2 comments:

  1. These days, I really miss the islands :(.

    You know, I have the same experience with my ob/gyn staff here...they have some rudeness in them. I keep telling my bf they're hormonal all the time...lol, but I'm glad you stood your ground.

    Dr. Young is my doctor at NIH. Is there a way for you to be seen at NIH at all?

    I am reading through the protocol right now. I am thinking I will do the clinical trial. You see, I'm so scared of the pain. I hate the bone marrow biopsies and I cried when I read about your Trifusion Catheter. I'm not so good at handling needles and all, but I'm amazed at how you're taking all these so bravely.

    I will be praying for you and I'll surely keep you updated what's going on my side. I'll be doing all my doctor's appointments next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chick,
    Just wanted to let you know that I've been following your situation every step of the way. You're gonna kick this thing and do great. This ain't no step for a stepper and we both know that you're well equipped when it comes to taking the bull by the horns. Party on girl!!
    Richard Kinzer,
    your Red Cross & Disc Golf buddy

    ReplyDelete